Lightning fast read meant to make you think...
10 Mistakes People Make with Free Speech (plus 1 bonus):
1. Have never heard it as written in the Constitution (Amendment 1
: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech
or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.")
2. Forget it is unique to the United States of America alone.
3. Forget it doesn't exist anywhere else in the world (like it does in the United States).
4. Throw a fit when their free speech is abridged
while not allowing others their free speech.
5. Don't realize that political correctness is an attack against free speech rights.
6. Overlook it is foundational to holding others accountable (especially the government).
7. Overlook that free speech indirectly springs from The Declaration of Independence
, too, and a recognition of God ("endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights").
8. Forget the many men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice (gave their lives in combat) to protect our free speech (Memorial Day
is meant to honor America's war dead).
9. Don't realize that a person's free speech rights end at the door of his place of employment
10. Overlook that probably the most controlled speech environment happens to be the college campus.
BONUS Aren't privy
to what free speech doesn't cover
(e.g. You can't yell, "Fire!," in a crowded theater).
(Constitution via pixabay
by Mike C (aka blog boy)
Labels: 10 mistakes lightning fast read series, free speech